Safe Return Guide
Spotted someone with a CARA Card?
This individual may be lost and living with dementia.
Here are some tips to calm and comfort him/her as you wait for support.
Tips on how to Interact with Persons Living with Dementia
When The Caregiver Turns Up
- Please verify that the Caregiver is connected to the Person Living with Dementia.
- Request to view the CARA E-Card of the Person Living with Dementia in the Caregiver’s CARA App – it should match the name displayed on the person living with dementia’s physical CARA Card.
Stay calm. Keep a comfortable distance and ask for permission to move closer.
Try to make eye contact, approach him/her in a calm, soothing and relaxed manner:
- “Hi Mr/ Mdm XXXX (name is stated on safe return page) My name is XXXX, you are safe here. Can I do anything to help you?”
Create a calm environment
Move him/her away from loud noises, large crowds or bright lights.
Guide him/her to a safer or quieter place.
If he/she becomes agitated and wants to leave, do not stop the person.
Instead, take note of which direction he/ she headed for. As a last resort, call the police at 999.
Calm Him or Her
- I’ve called your family; they are on their way. I will stay until you feel better.”
- “You’re safe here.”
If they are fixated on a topic – “I want to go home”
- Agree with him/her and stall for time
- “That’s a good idea. I just called the taxi; can we sit and wait for the car?”
- “Let’s do that. But your (insert family member) is coming here to meet us. Can we wait for a bit?”
- Point out to nearby flowers, buildings/shops or offer a drink to distract him/ her.
Build a conversation
Avoid questions that start with “Do you remember…”
- “One of my favourite singers is Teresa Teng. Do you know any of her songs?”
- “When I was a little kid, I would always ride my bicycle a lot with my friends. Did you like riding a bike?”
Require help from trained staff?
If the person with dementia is willing to follow you and/or you require more assistance, bring him/her to the nearest SMRT Dementia-go-to points listed below.
Trained staff will be available to provide additional support.
- Kent Ridge
- Paya Lebar
- Ang Mo Kio
- Buona Vista
- Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub
- Yishun Integrated Transport Hub
- Choa Chu Kang Bus Interchange
- Sembawang Bus Interchange
- Woodlands Temporary Bus Interchange